Back to Madison Historical Homepage
The Allis-Bushnell House
Lee Academy
Historic Madison
Back to Madison Historical Homepage
About the Madison Historical Society
Newsletter
News
News
News
Antique Fair
Historic Building Plaque
Education Program
Visit Us
Participate with Us
Madison History
Madison Historic Sites
Contact Us
Related Links
Site map

o
Welcome

According to the charming stories in Madison’s Heritage: Historical Sketches of Madison, Connecticut, the Madison Historical Society was founded with astonishing speed. In the years 1917 and 1918, during and shortly after the First World War, the idea for the Society was sparked, it is said, by “a fierce fire of enthusiasm.” Witnesses to its sudden presence on the social and cultural scene of Madison say that it evolved from a single comment.

One afternoon in August 1917, George Wilcox stopped for his usual daily visit to his neighbors in the village, and Civil War veteran John Henry Meigs, passing by in his buggy, returned to greet them. The gentlemen reportedly exchanged tales of “early times, boyish pranks, and school days.” Upon leaving, Meigs mentioned what a delight it had been to be so long at conversation without a single mention of the war.

From that chance remark, it is said, George Wilcox began to form notions of a society that would celebrate and commemorate the lively history of the town. Just a week later, invitations were sent to thirty to forty townspeople who might be interested in such a group. Miss Elizabeth Todd Nash offered her home for the first meeting, which had just one by-law: Topics such as “War, Work, and Worries” were forbidden for the evening. Meigs and Wilcox, joined by George Whedon and Thomas Scranton, entertained the gathering with vivid stories of the past.

The festivities, which lasted until after midnight, were so successful that Nash approached Wilcox with the idea that the meetings might be held weekly. Further, she suggested that the old stories might be recorded for the preservation of history. Wilcox agreed, and once again invitations were sent to people who might enjoy such an endeavor. Soon, a regular meeting place was established at the Chapel next to the present-day Memorial Town Hall, and participants began to form rules and offer membership enrollments.

Just weeks later, more than 100 charter members had formed the Madison Historical Society. With surprising swiftness, the Society then secured a building to call its own. Within the Society's first year,Mr. Nathan Bushnell offered the use of his old family home in exchange for some repairs and the payment of its taxes. By the second summer, the Society had purchased the home. Before long, generous members had repaired it and outfitted it with donated heirlooms. Together they created a period house that could open its doors to visitors.

In later decades, the organization worked to save Lee's Academy from conversion to a saloon. They first arranged its move to a position of honor on the Madison town green. Then they purchased it outright from the Town. During the 1950s and 1960s, the Society focused its efforts on the development of its collection. It also undertook further restoration of the Allis-Bushnell House and established its status as a nonprofit organization. After painstaking restorations in 1975, the Allis-Bushnell House was dedicated in August 1976 as a museum of the history and heritage of Madison.

In that same year, the United States celebrated its bicentennial, and the Madison Historical Society produced a commemorative book of the town’s history. Published by the Bicentennial Committee, the volume was entitled Madison: Three Hundred Years by the Sea: Farmers and Fishermen, Sailors and Summer Folk. In picture and story, it tells the history of the town from the 1600s through the mid-twentieth century. It also describes the thirteen distinct neighborhood districts of the community.

In the 21st century, the MHS has reenvisioned its role in town life. It has made extensive efforts to increase both its presence and its educational outreach. In 2010 it began to restore Lee's Academy, to which it had moved its administrative offices. That work, aided by generous grants and donations, was completed in 2012. In 2013, work began to preserve and protect the Allis-Bushnell House, where the Society had its roots. The MHS's vision statement, crafted in 2012, reflects the Society's commitment to contribute to a greater appreciation of Madison's distinctive cultural history. Committed to public education that nurtures and sustains a sense of community, the MHS links the past to present and future citizens.

 

 

 

 


Madison Historical Society
14 Meetinghouse Lane
Madison, CT 06443-3155
203.245.4567